Monday, October 21, 2013

Apologies for the Delay....I have returned

Greetings readers,

I know its been almost a month since my last post and I sincerely apologize. Life has been very busy at school. I just went through 3 midterms, some papers, work, a Senior Thesis, and my Presidential duties on the Student Athlete Advisory Committee have required my attention.

But recently it was brought to my attention that regardless of how busy I get, I must stay committed to posting on my blog and carrying on the purpose I set out to do. I was reminded and inspired by the following article:

I was Diagnose With Autism at 40

This article is about woman who wasn't diagnosed until age 40! And I thought I had trouble when I wasn't diagnosed until 14. Given the lack of research available prior to the mid 2000s, it was hard to be diagnosed and treated. It was tough and I can relate. Her mother also has Autism was thrown in a mental institution for it and declared unfit to be in the real world. That is discrimination and doesn't help. By isolating them they were only feeding the social isolationism the lack of social development in Autism gives rather than confronting it.

It inspired me because it reminded me when I was brutally bullied and abused by my peers and also teachers during grade school for being different and not acting the same as others. I remember many occasions where I was threatened with removal from the classroom and even declared unteachable by some teachers. I thank God everyday for having been diagnosed because like this woman, not did it give me closer, but it also probably saved me from the troubles her mother experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment