Thursday, September 19, 2013

Why I Am Starting This Blog

As the title of my blog suggests, I have Aspergers Syndrome. I chose this title to show that even though I have the disability label, I embrace it because it who I am and always will be. Aspergers cannot simply be cured. It is something I will carry for the rest of my life. While there were many struggles and trials I had to overcome, it blessed me with an enhanced ability to memorized information on topics I loved and higher end intelligence.

Today I am a senior at Manhattanville College who is a Dean's List student, dual major in history and political science, a varsity collegiate cross country and track runner, and well involved on campus as President of Student Athlete Advisory Committee along with a host of other achievements and responsibilities. I know many readers will be shocked to see someone on the Autism Spectrum with such an array of achievements. I am here to tell you that success can be achieved by those who have Aspergers and Autism if they have the desire and courage to do so along with proper guidance.

This leads into answering the question of why I am writing this blog. I am writing this to tell the story of my life, struggles, achievements, and give insight into what goes on in the mind of a human being with Aspergers Syndrome. I will also post things I find inspirational and new relevant events as they come up leading up to my graduation and beginning my career. It is my hope that many kids growing up with Aspergers and Autism along with parents of children with Aspergers and Autism will read my story and find answers they are looking for so they can succeed in life. Perhaps most of all I want to give them hope. I feel I would be doing a disservice not only to Autistic individuals everywhere, but also to humanity as a whole if I didn't tell my story.

My name is Ben Smith, I am Aspergers, and this is my story...

No comments:

Post a Comment